LCS House Projects Photo Album

recent 2013

  Front of house - January 16, 2004

  Back of house

There was no landscaping in the front or back of the house. A perfect blank slate.

         Blank slate in side and back yards (2004)

Front Entry Garden (2009 thru 2011)


I've routed all the gutter down spouts under ground so they're out of the way (2007).

Side near back patio (2004 thru 2017)


South Side Terrace (2007 thru 2010)


South Side of House

  2009 (mostly missing Tiger)

  2010: lots of fruit on peach trees (originally planted as flowering almonds; bunnies ate them to the ground; then original roots - peach - sent up new shoots)

Pathway to Mark's House (2004 to 2009)


Evolution of a new terrace (2007 thru 2019)

                         2010        2019

South Side Pathway (2009)


New terrace at the Back of the House (2009)


New terrace in backyard for new Magnolia (2010)


Neighbor's new fence, Mark's planting bed (2007 to 2009)


New paint color for front veranda walls (2010)

Stepping stones towards backyard (2011)

Very overgrown pathway. Invasive plants and no time to pull and/or kill them. (2011)

Pathway cleared and new planting bed along side. Peach trees gone. (2011)

Lower 8 feet of Mark's blue spruces removed. Lots of space for new plantings. (2011)


Finally time for new gutters - January 2012

Both sides - Mark's and mine - got new gutters at the same time. The upper roof has downspouts to lower roof gutter, instead of running onto the roof.


And now time for new windows. - March 2013

Most of the windows were so fogged from condensation that they were virtually opaque.

Old and New back windows and patio door.


Old and New basement window (3 in all).


Old and New side garage door.  Old door wouldn't even open safely.


Old and New front windows.


New side garage door color. (2013)

  And new clematis trellis made from pruned branches from backyard walnut trees.

Stepping stones into backyard (2019)


Leaf Filter added to lower back gutter

Rack for potted herbs

Finally, it's time to convert the stepping stones and river rocks to concrete sidewalk. And replace side stoop and back veranda.

Step 1 - Demo


Step 2 - Forms and fill


Step 3 - Concrete


Lots of landscaping cleanup left to do after the forms are removed.

The landscaping is mostly finished.  Grass is seeded along sidewalk.  Some planting is left for next year.

From the front driveway to the back and towards the front again.


The derecho (very high winds) on 8/10/20 blew down the big dead cottonwood tree at the back of Mark's yard.  As it fell, it took out big branches from his two big maple trees.  It also damaged the roof and siding.  No people injuries.  But the maples had to be removed.  Once our heat wave/drought is over, he'll replant new maples.


Cleanup was done the next day, but it looks pretty desolate for now.


The stepping stone path from my house to Mark's had some problems.  The stones settled too deep and mulch and pine needles kept covering them.  And they were hard to shovel in the snow.  So I used some of the gray paver stones from the old side path to lay a straight path.  It should be easier to keep clear.

The new and renewed planting beds along the new sidewalk are doing well.

May and June, before it gets too hot, is the time to clean up the older planting areas.  Weeding, trimming, transplanting, new mulch.

I got rid of the evergreens near the driveway; they had gotten too big and weren't doing well.  So now the My Monet weigelas are doing better.


Of course, nothing is easy.  With the evergreens gone, it was apparent that the stones needed a wall to hold them back.  I'm planning a star magnolia to go in front of the wall.

The area on the other side of the driveway had gotten overgrown, so that was next to get cleaned up.


My US flag gets pretty tattered from the wind, heat and cold.  You can see thru it.  So every two years on Flag Day (June 14) I replace it.


The South side is doing well.


The terrace at the back of the house got cleaned up too and some new plants.

New plants - hostas, liriope, coral bells and astilbe - and new mulch in the area in the back corner of the yard.

  I really should do something about that ugly fence.

Mark planted three new trees to replace the ones damaged in last August's wind storm.  Two red maples and a silver maple.


I finally found a Royal Star Magnolia online.  It arrived in a couple days and it's now planted in the SE terrace.  Yes, it's small, OK tiny, but there will be flowers in a year or two.  Patience!